« | »

Making Chocolate Covered Strawberries in 5 Easy Steps

When you think of Valentine’s Day, do you think elaborate dinners? Expensive chocolates? Pricey gifts? Well, maybe all you really need is a special focus on your Valentine – and an easy to make treat. And there’s one treat that’s so simple to make anyone can do it: Chocolate covered strawberries

To make 1 lb. (.45 kg) of finished strawberries, you’ll need 6 oz. of chocolate. Select the best strawberries you can find. They should be firm, but deep red. There should be no soft areas, nor green areas (except, of course, for the stem, which should be green). Wash the berries in warm, running water. Do not soak them, or they will loose flavor. Do not hull the berries or remove their green tops. Pat the berries until they are completely dry.

Any type of chocolate may be used. However, the chocolate should either be in pre-made chips, or you should chop it coarsely. (For more about types of chocolate, visit Chocolarious.)

Step 1: Pour the chocolate into a heat proof medium-sized bowl. Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper.

Step 2: Fill a medium-sized saucepan with two inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Step 3: Turn off the stove and set the bowl of chocolate over the saucepan. The chocolate will melt. Stir until it’s completely smooth. Remove the bowl from the stove.

Step 4: Hold one strawberry by its green top and dip one half of it into the melted chocolate. Give the berry a small shake as you remove it from the chocolate. Then immediately give the berry a quick clockwise turn; this finishes the tip of the strawberry neatly. Lay the strawberry down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this step with the remaining strawberries.

Step 5: To help the chocolate set, place the baking tray of dipped strawberries on a shelf in the refrigerator. Don’t leave the strawberries in for longer than half an hour, or the chocolate will “sweat.”

For a fancier look, melt chocolate in a contrasting color, scoop a small amount into a spoon, and drizzle it over the already-dipped strawberries. You might also finely chop some nuts for the berries; after the initial dipping, wait about 20 to 30 seconds, then roll the berry in the chopped nuts. Pecans or almonds are good choices.

If desired, stick toothpicks or tiny popsicle sticks into the strawberries where the stems would normally be; this can make dipping and eating easier.

Store the strawberries in an airtight container in a cool room.

To present the strawberries, neatly line them along the edge of a platter, plate, or cake stand. Then either carefully pile strawberries in the center of the plate, or continue making circles with them until the plate is full.

Posted by on February 3, 2012.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Cooking, Health and Life, Recipes

18 Responses

1. Now this is new! I can prepare this for the incoming Valentine’s Day for my loved ones. Thanks for the post. Definitely I will share this to my friends.

by Alice on Feb 6, 2012 at 5:05 pm

2. A few days before Valentines arrive. I can already sense a great deal of pressure all around; not only from the guys but from the Single people as well. Ever since February arrived, everyone’s been talking about it. It’s that one day where people buy gifts for their loved ones and go out on a special lunch or dinner date. For me I rather cook some dishes for my family. One thing is for sure, they will love this recipe. Thanks!

by Sarah on Feb 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm

3. If I were to ask, I’d rather spend Valentine’s Day at home with my boyfriend. Snuggle up on a couch watching romantic movies with a giant bowl of popcorn, other junk foods and simply prepare this Chocolate Covered Strawberries. Rather than going to an expensive restaurant or the movie house. Thanks

by Jasmine on Feb 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm

4. Recipe time! Actually I’m looking for chocolate recipe for this incoming Valentine’s Day. I see a lot of recipes from different sites and finally this seems new to me. It is easy to prepare I can prepare this recipe for my family hope they will love my simple presentation for them.

by Kim on Feb 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

5. Very simple but very adorable and inspirational.
    I love chocolate and I adore strawberries and I must admit you have just shot me dead with this recipe. I can’t wait to make one for my boyfriend this upcoming Valentines!

by chloe on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:20 am

6. I never thought making chocolate-dipped strawberries could be so simple. I improvised for variety and used white chocolate as well as semi-sweet chocolate.

by natalie on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:24 am

7. There is nothing easier and yet so appealing. Makes a real pretty tray to serve to your family and friends this Valentine’s Day!

by dione on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:27 am

8. The strawberries and chocolate have a wonderful taste. This is a great gift on Valentine’s Day and small gatherings. It is simple and not time consuming!

by shirley on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:42 am

9. “maybe all you really need is a special focus on your Valentine”. awww…such a sweet thing…and forgotten by many. nice advice =)

by Holland on Feb 7, 2012 at 4:07 am

10. Simple and delicious , anything with strawberries will surely make your valentines a forgettable one

by Dana on Feb 7, 2012 at 7:15 pm

11. Very recommendable this valentines what a great recipe . I would probably make one of this for my husband.

by Rita on Feb 7, 2012 at 7:21 pm

12. Great! Now i have an idea what will I cook this coming Valentine’s Day. This will definitely the one I will be serving to my family. Can’t wait to do this. Thanks

by Marcie on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:51 am

13. Great! Now i have an idea what will I cook this coming Valentine’s Day. This will definitely the one I will be serving to my family. Can’t wait to do this. Thanks.

by marcie on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:51 am

14. I really love chocolate covered strawberries…now, if only my boyfriend would have a hunch on that. lol! =>

by hailey on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:01 am

15. Valentine’s Day is coming up fast! Many people will be scrambling to come up with the best ideas for this day. I make this, put it in a personalized heart box and sell it. (“,)

by Allen on Feb 10, 2012 at 2:29 am

16. Wow! Perfect combination, chocolates and strawberries together gives out a sourly sweet taste. This is like the yin and yang of food recipes for me. Liked it and loved it.

by sophia on Feb 14, 2012 at 9:54 am

17. It’s so nice and simple. This is very appealing for me especially because chocolate is present in the recipe. I hope to try this one of these days. Thanks for the post.

by Dorothy on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:11 am

18. Yipeee ! Now I have a gift for my father this coming father’s day. He loves chocolates and he loves strawberries, perfect! The wonderful part is 1 .. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5.. And I’m done!

by Laura on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm