« | »

How to Cook with Eggplant

How to Cook with EggplantIn my opinion, there is no whole food so beautiful as eggplant. But if you weren’t raised eating it, you may be at a loss for what to do with it once you bring it home. Don’t worry; eggplant is both delicious and easy to add to your cooking repertoire. And thank goodness for that, since eggplant is an excellent source of fiber, manganese, and potassium, while also offering folate, vitamins K, B6, B3, and C. Eggplant also contains nasunin, which protects brain cell membranes from damage, plus plenty of antioxidants.

Tips for Cooking with Eggplant

* Older (bigger) eggplants have a tough skin that is best removed before cooking or eating. Try to purchase younger (smaller) eggplants, from which the skin needn’t be removed.

* Older eggplants may also be slightly bitter. However, if you sprinkle salt on the flesh and let it sit for about an hour, the flesh will begin watering, which releases that bitter flavor. Wash, then pat dry, and proceed with the recipe. (Salting eggplant also firms up the vegetable, which makes it not soak up as much oil during cooking.)

* Unless treating the eggplant for bitterness, cut the vegetable just before cooking.

* To cut an eggplant, first cut off the top, where the leaves are. Peel or cut away the skin, if needed. For most recipes, you’ll then slice the eggplant into ½ to 1 inch rounds. If desired, cube the rounds into smaller pieces. Be sure to remove any inner flesh that looks bruised or dark.

Fantastic Eggplant Recipes

Roasted Eggplant

Roasted Eggplant takes just 20 minutes to cook and a handful of common ingredients. Even easier is Grilled Eggplant, which uses only an eggplant, a little olive oil, and seasonings.

Turn an eggplant into a meal with Eggplant in Tomato-Wine Sauce, which includes pasta, mushrooms, tomatoes, wine, and seasonings. Of course, there’s also Better-For-You Eggplant Parmigiana, which is a healthy twist on the classic eggplant dish.

Eggplant Caviar with Tomato Sauce is an elegant dish; even though the ingredients are simple, it’s sure to impress guests. Eggplant and goat cheese ravioli with thyme sauce is scrumptious and ideal for meals both casual and impressive.

For an especially classy meal, try Lamb square cut with eggplant fricassee or the gourmet Eggplant mille-feuille with red peppers cream.

If you have lots of zucchini in your garden, try Zucchini and eggplants cream with saffron.

For the ultimate in simple home food, Athenian Pizza combines eggplant with traditional pizza toppings and a pita bread crust.

Posted by on July 17, 2012.

Tags: ,

Categories: Cooking, Nutrition, Recipes

29 Responses

1. Wow! new ways in enjoying eggplant, Thanks for the post

by Jonny on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:42 pm

2. So many new recipes for my favorite vegetable, I will definitely try them all.

by Luke on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:43 pm

3. I never heard of those eggplant recipes, but it sure looks fantastic, wii definitely try these recipes for our breakfast.

by Annie on Jul 17, 2012 at 4:25 pm

4. Great recipes ! i would like to try all of those after reading the health benefits of eggplant.

by Jenna on Jul 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm

5. This is a very healthy budget meal. I enjoy this post of eggplant recipes. Now I have more than just an eggplant omelet added in my own kitchen recipe clips. My daughters truly enjoy the taste of the new recipe that I did for them, “Zucchini and eggplants cream with saffron”.

by Marcie on Jul 17, 2012 at 11:14 pm

6. I’ve tried roasted and grilled eggplant they were very easy recipes…I added some cream and make some dipping on it…I’ve enjoyed its taste! Thanks for your suggestions and ideas! Perfect for me!

by ethel on Jul 17, 2012 at 11:25 pm

7. i wanted to try lamb square cut with eggplant fricassee and the gourmet Eggplant mille-feuille with red peppers cream, looks very elegant on special occasions!

by jhazminever0326 on Jul 17, 2012 at 11:28 pm

8. My house is far from the market so I have lots of eggplants and zucchinis in my fridge and I do not know what to do with it. What a blessing when I read your post. Now, I know what to do with it. Thanks for the recipe zucchini and eggplants cream with saffron. I do not have worry of spoiling the food. I really like it!

by Hailey on Jul 18, 2012 at 2:03 am

9. I love the post and indeed it gets me more energetic now and feeling excited when cooking terrific recipe such as Eggplant Caviar with Tomato Sauce. Thanks for your post. I am learning new recipes that my family enjoys a lot.

by Faye on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:44 am

10. As I tried Eggplant and goat cheese ravioli with thyme sauce, it really caught everybodies attention! Not only its taste, but also its aroma and its presentation. Thanks for sharing a superb recipe. Next time I am going to try Eggplant mille-feuille with red peppers cream.for my mother’s birthday this Sunday.

by barbara on Jul 18, 2012 at 11:18 pm

11. A simple vegetable can make a superb and extravagant recipe like those you’ve mentioned (the Admin). This site is really excellent. Sharing a very tasty and luscious recipe makes everyone happy!

by karen on Jul 18, 2012 at 11:21 pm

12. Grilled must be the easiest way in preparing eggplant and it is now my new favorite way of enjoying it.

by Gorgy on Jul 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

13. Is there any chance if I ate eggplants my allergies will come out? I am very interested to your recipes that you’ve shared. But then I am so afraid that my allergies might come out and it feels so itchy!

by lorrie on Jul 19, 2012 at 9:23 pm

14. I’ve tried to make ATHENIAN PIZZA…It is really DELICIOUS and PERFECT! Very easy to prepare! Even my kids enjoyed the taste of it! Thanks for your great post!

by sophie on Jul 19, 2012 at 9:25 pm

15. Eggplant caviar with tomato sauce is the best choice for me and my children. My kids like the way the sauce makes it a little bit sweet and looks great. Thanks for helping me serve more foods that are good for my children’s health.

by Joan on Jul 20, 2012 at 11:04 am

16. I have never cooked an eggplant so all these recipes in here is a little overwhelming. I look forward to trying some of these great sounding recipes for eggplant. Good cleansing ingredients all around! Thank you!

by Kira on Jul 20, 2012 at 11:40 am

17. I have never cooked an eggplant before but I am really interested in learning. I guess I’ll start with roasting it by following the recipe you provided. Many Thanks.

by Alma on Jul 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm

18. We really like eggplant and would rather have it baked than fried. This can be served as a main dish or side dish but baked and fried are the only ways we know how to prepare eggplant. thanks to these recipes you added a new dish on our eggplant menu.

by Egg Plant Lover on Jul 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm

19. Your post had helped me a lot to make good use and enjoy more of my ginormous zucchini as well as egg plants in my garden. I love the taste of the recipe “Zucchini and eggplants cream with saffron”, which I have read in this good site. It is one of the best recipes I am looking for.

by Tanya on Jul 21, 2012 at 9:39 am

20. So many eggplant recipes. I think you inspired me to have an eggplant party this weekend. It will be so much fun.

by Helena on Jul 21, 2012 at 3:18 pm

21. I am doing a color diet just to purify right now after being sick and purchased some white eggplant so I am going to try it with the olive oil, garlic and lemon… :) Good cleansing ingredients all around! Thank you!

by Joan on Jul 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

22. Until today, i have cooked eggplants only on a frying pan, thanks to this post I have learned much more about eggplants. Thank you for opening a whole new eggplant world for me.

by Anna on Jul 22, 2012 at 4:05 am

23. I’ve been searching for easy ways on cooking eggplants and then I found this site that provides a lot of tips. I think I’m gonna be visiting this site from now on. Thanks for sharing ..

by hanz on Jul 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm

24. I have taken eggplants for granted all this years, I have never appreciated it, never enjoyed it but not anymore. It is now my new favorite vegetable. Gotta make up for lost time and cook more of it.

by Christoff on Jul 23, 2012 at 11:16 pm

25. One of my favorite veggies! So many preparations to choose from and interestingly enough tastes! Eggplants are always been good. Have you seen many different varieties of the plant? Different sizes, shapes and color, though typically purple. There are even orange varieties.

by Connie on Jul 24, 2012 at 7:10 am

26. Only if you’re allergic to eggplant!

by admin on Jul 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm

27. Interesting article! I have a question about “sweating” the eggplant with salt. Does it make the eggplant more salty when you cook it? We lowered out salt levels and are sensitive to it, now. Even rinsed off, some of it will be absorbed, I’m sure, so I’m wondering if it’s salty. Thanks!

by Jen on Jul 24, 2012 at 9:31 pm

28. Howdy! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading your blog
    posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same subjects?
    Thanks for your time!

by best mattress to relieve back pain on May 20, 2013 at 7:32 pm

29. Hi, I read your new stuff on a regular basis. Your story-telling style is witty, keep it up!

by Carin on Jul 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm